Re: choices regarding where to place code - in the database or middle tier

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 06:32:16 GMT

"Joe" <joelax_at_dbdirections.com> wrote in message news:Y7IOb.20178$ko5.19870_at_nwrddc01.gnilink.net...
> Hi -
>
> Over the last several versions of Oracle, developers have been provided
with
> a pretty revolutionary idea for a database product - namely the ability to
> write code that used to belong in the middle tier and store it in the
> database. I'm referring here to the ability to write stored procedures in
> Java.
>
> Now of course, Microsoft with their SQL Server product is doing the same
> thing. The next version of SQL Server will allow programmers to write
> stored procedures in any of the .NET languages.
>
> I'm interested in looking at the increased choices developers now have
> because of these new features in more depth ,developing some best
practices
> on the subject, and possibly publishing an article on the topic.
>
> I personally am more experienced with SQL Server than with Oracle. I am
> therefore looking for someone who has been involved with making these
> choices in the Oracle environment who would like to collaborate with me on
> the subject.
>
> If you are interested, please contact me at joelax_at_dbdirections.com
>
> Thank you
>
> Joe Lax

Joe,
I want to make a subtle distinction. Just about any database can store code in a the database. (binary object) That said I think you mean more that complex business logic can be stored and run in the database or server end (eg in Oracle pl/sql or Java). Having the business logic (not the GUI logic) in the database allows one to switch GUIs or have multiple systems interact with the backend and consistant business rules are followed. Having it in the middle tier means that every other system has to go through that middle tier. Which means that other groups will go right to the database and not through the middle tier.(time constraints, must do it now, can't wait to use middle tier, middle tier written in a language we don't like or don't know....)

Siebel, Peoplesoft et al hire programmers and not really dbas. Programmers drive the projects and dbas are relagated to a lower importance. Thus these products don't use Referential integrity, stored procedures etc. For an example, in Siebel you "have to define all database objects through their tool even indexes". Unfortunately, that means you can't create a Function based index or an index where one of the elements of the key is descending instead of the default ascending. Dumb, just dumb.

Jim Received on Tue Jan 20 2004 - 00:32:16 CST