Daniel morgan and other DBA's ur advice on oracle carrier path

From: hrishy <hrishys_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: 19 Jan 2004 22:01:08 -0800

Hi Daniel

I have been following your replies on some of the threads here..I noticed that you have huge amount of experience gauged by your replies to the answers you have posted.I am curious to knwo what your thoughts are on couple of topics

1)DBA's becoming redundant

2)Most shops adopting multiple DB's (postgre sql oracle,mysql sqlserver db2 etc)

3)Merging of the sys admin and the DBA roles in organisations

4)Market exepectations wherein sometimes the jobs demanding Java asp skills from DBA's

5)DBA's with knowledge of managing packaged applications like Baan SAP Peopelsoft etc or DW market

I am from india and so my experiences are limited to the indian market..The indian market is very very demanding and they squeeze a lot from DBA's here.(cheap outsourcing you see dont have anyone to balme..thats what the market wants..who doesnt want to have huge profits)

My exp have been like this

1)sometimes the management has seen me sitting idle..so thy really think that they dont really need a DBA at all..and they can do away with DBA activites.maybe they think that everything can be done through OEM and GUI.

2)some interviews i attend they bluntly ask me that they need oracle DBA's with sybase or Db2 DBA knowledge too i am sometimes awestruck..so i was in two minds for a few days and then i started learning Db2 and sybase too atleast baby sit them.

3)many a times i have backed up as a sysdamin on digital unix sun and linux ssytems..just becoz management thought that they cannot afford a seperate sysadmin.

4)Again i see advt where the position is DBA but with java skills..at first i couldnt help stop laughin..many senior DBA"s i had talked to knwo perl not java..and again since i am money minded(who is not :-))i used to think is perl really worth a place in my resume..when the market demands java..

5)well these ares is i beleieve is still grey..after all sap does not give away its erp for free..so entry barriers are high and if i somehow can make a breakthrough..it would be great ..

just wunderin what you guys thing esp when you are comming from different geo-graphical location..your thoughts would be higgly appreciated.

regards
Hrishy Received on Tue Jan 20 2004 - 00:01:08 CST