Re: changing workgroup corrupts autostart service on windows 2000?

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 19 Jan 2004 13:49:14 -0800

"FC" <flavio_at_tin.it> wrote in message news:<vMROb.113007$VW.4613939_at_news3.tin.it>...
> "Paul Drake" <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > "FC" <flavio_at_tin.it> wrote in message
> > > Hi all,
> > > I am experiencing problems with the autostart setting of a database
> service
> > > and instance, after changing the workgroup.
> > > This happens on Windows 2000 server + SP3 and Oracle 9.2.0.1.0.
> > > I found a message suggesting to recreate the service using ORADIM but it
> > > didn't work.
> > > The event viewer does not show any entry for oracle unlike normally
> happens
> > > upon booting up the machine and also the ALRTxxxx.log file doesn't
> record
> > > anything.
> > > It looks like the service doesn't start at all.
> > > All Oracle registry setting seem ok, I didn't change them since the db
> > > installation.
> > > If I start the db manually, it works fine.
> > > I am going to reinstall Oracle from scratch unless someone comes up with
> > > solution first.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > > Bye,
> > > Flavio
> > >
> > > --
> >
> > Flavio,
> >
> > you might try deleting an re-creating the service.
> > you can use the utility oradim.exe for both.
> >
> > type
> >
> > C:\> oradim
> >
> > to obtain its man page.
> >
> > What account was the service running as, localsystem?
> >
> > Pd
>
> I did that too Paul, but it didn't fix the problem.
> And yes, the service is run using Localsystem, as it is normally setup by
> Oracle installer.
>
> Bye,
> Flavio

this should work:

create a local service account on the box. grant it the local administrator and local ORA_DBA groups. Assign the local account to the service used to start the instance in question.

leave the parameter names.authenication_services =(NTS)

stop the service.
start the service.

I'll bet that it starts just fine.

Ideally, filesystem permissions should be configured such that users can run what they need to, but nothing more.

Network backups should not be allowed to lock live oracle files. Local backups should not be allowed to lock live oracle files.

It is my strong belief that LocalSystem should not be allowed to modify/write/take ownership of files owned by the local group ORA_DBA. In this case, malicious code such as Nimda cannot mogrify your oracle data, control and log files, even if the operating system is compromised by malicious code.

I would further state that LocalSystem does not require access to any oracle files for write purposes, and does not require read access to any data, control and log files, but it depends upon how you configure your backup software.

create the local group ORA_OPER and use it for backup purposes.

Also, 8.1.7.0.0 had issues with autostarting. Have you considered applying any patchsets, such as 9.2.0.4?

hth.

Pd Received on Mon Jan 19 2004 - 15:49:14 CST