Re: Analytic Functions in Stored Procedure 8.1.7 - do they work?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 17:48:23 +0000 (UTC)

As you've found, pl/sql in 8.1.7 does not recognise analytic functions. The standard workaround is to use weak ref cursors:

declare

    type ref_cursor is ref cursor;
    c1 ref_cursor;
begin

    open c1 for 'select .....';

    loop

        fetch c1 into {list of variables};
        exit when c1%notfound;

    end loop;

end;
/

As another poster suggested, you could hide the analytic functions inside a view, but you may find that Oracle instantiates the entire view before applying any predicate you want to use. This may make the view extremely inefficient.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

Next public appearance2:
 March 2004 Hotsos Symposium - Keynote
 March 2004 Charlotte NC - OUG Tutorial
 April 2004 Iceland