Re: 10G

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 03:31:32 GMT

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1074395693.695444_at_yasure...
> Tanel Poder wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >

> >>Get a copy of 9ir2 and practice, practice, practice.
> >>It's a good release, with more features than one
> >>can poke a stick at. I'm continually baffled at
> >>the undocumented little "pearls" in it!
> >

> > I'm even baffled with the documented "pearls" in it ;)
> >

> >>it won't be wasted when 10g finally comes round.
> >

> > Definitely!
> > 9.2 will stay around for loooong time :)
> >
> > Tanel.
>
> Only about 20% of Oracle's customers have installed 9i. Thus the vast
> majority will end up, when they upgrade, missing it entirely.
>
> And all of the DBAs that didn't learn it or keep up with their skills
> will hit 10g like it is a brick wall.
>
> --
> Daniel Morgan
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

Alas, the whole behind the curve problem. The vendor application takes forever to use the current version of Oracle and then the business takes even longer to upgrade to the current or latest vendor application so there is this huge time lag behind when a release from Oracle comes out and when a company finally uses it. I've worked places where table and index reorgs still occur because the vendor recommends it. (Primus, SAP, Siebel) You would think that these companies would hire top DBA's for their application development and stay current with the technology.

It is very frustrating to have this highly capable database and because the vendor is incompetent (in terms of the database) you can't take advantage of features that would improve the quality of life for your users.

This is not Oracle's fault; I would rather they have the features available before I can use them than the other way round. Jim Received on Sat Jan 17 2004 - 21:31:32 CST