Re: Log file sync timeouts

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 14:34:29 -0000

Notes in-line

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

Next public appearance2:
 March 2004 Hotsos Symposium - Keynote
 March 2004 Charlotte NC - OUG Tutorial
 April 2004 Iceland

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html

Three-day seminar:
see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html
____UK___February

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

"Ron Boggs" <rboggs_at_endian-networks.com> wrote in message

> Statspack will tell me there were 'X' number of log file sync timeouts
> between snapshots....
>
> 1) Is there any way to find out exactly when each timeout occurred?
> I'm trying to determine if there is correlation between these timeouts
> and spikes in app performance.

Exactly - no, to within N seconds - yes. If you know what you want to look for (e.g. v$system_event for event "log file sync") then you could write a little pl/sql procedure that loop for 30 minutes, doing a select for that item every 10 seconds, and printing the delta from the last cycle using utl_file. If it's really important to get the answer, this is the cheapest option.
> 2) After a timeout (1000ms in this case) what happens? It's
> obviously still waiting on the post back from the log writer process.
> Does it just switch context to another session and check again when
> active?
You may be misinterpreting statspack - how are you inferring that you had a timeout that lasted 1000ms ? I'll guess for the moment that you've had many waits, including one timeout, totallling 1,000 ms. (If this is with a couple of dozen busy processing running over a period of 15 minutes, I wouldn't be too bothered). To enter a wait, a process sets an alarm clock (typically in the small number of centiseconds, though some are 1, 2, or 3 seconds, and a few are five minutes) then goes to sleep waiting for a callback. If the callback comes before the alarm goes off, the wait time is recorded; if the alarm goes off first, a timeout (and the wait time) is recorded. Usually on a timeout, the process resets the alarm clock and goes back to sleep.