Re: OID Will Not Install Properly

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:18:26 +0100

Wes wrote:

> I have been trying to install OID from the 9.0.1.1 RDBMS on Windows
> 2000 SP4 and it always fails during the OID setup after copying the
> database.
>
> %ORACLE_HOME%/ldap/install/postcfg.out is filled with can not connect
> messages.
>
> I am able to run the scripts in %ORACLE_HOME%/ldap/install/newldap.orc
> manually and create the objects.
>
> The OracleDirectoryService, OracleOraHome90Agent,
> OracleOraHome90HTTPServer, OracleOraHome90TNSListener and the database
> instance are started in the services panel.
>
> When I try to connect anonymously with the Oracle Directory Manager, I
> get server is not up and running.
>
> I do a plain install, accepting the defaults and not changing any
> passwords.
>
> I can not find any errors in the log files. (I checked any file that
> was recently modified that could be a log file. .log, .out, .trc)
>
> I see no events in the system, security or application logs.
>
> I have tried starting using oidmon and oidldapd without errors or
> success.
>
> I can connect to the database using SQL*Plus.
>
> The first time I did an install, I had an 8.1.? client installed but I
> have gotten quite good at wiping my hard drive, registry and services
> free of an previous install.
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Wes.

I cannot help you, to start with, as I've never done it with your versions.
However, it *does* work with a pre installed (9.2.0.4) database, which should have AL32UTF8 as character set.

I'd suggest you give that approach a try.

Also, oidmon -connect=<alias> start should be followed by oidctl -connect=<alias> -server=oidldapd -instance=1 start

It may take a while before it's all started.

I would certainly upgrade to 9iRel2, your current version is desupported asof beginning this year, iirc.

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel