Re: Rotate alert log

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 15 Jan 2004 14:41:41 -0800

"Tom" <tomNOSPAM_at_teameazyriders.com> wrote in message news:<42CNb.535$WE4.5936277_at_news-text.cableinet.net>...
> Hi,
>
> 9.2.0.4 on Linux
>
> Is it possible to rotate the alert log without bouncing the database? I know
> it is for the listener log but i need to rotate an alert log and can't
> really bounce the instance.
>
> I doubt it is possible and can't seem to find a answer in the archives so
> any input would be appreciated.
>
> thanks
>
> Tom

Seems to work ok. Try it on your test db. mv the alert log, the next time the instance tries to write to the alert log it will create a new one. Just be sure to use names so you can get the right log if you need to go back and look at something.

The only reason it might not be possible is if Oracle kept the file open all the time. But you can test that it doesn't by forcing a write after moving it, ie, alter system switch logfile.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://zccw.org/Humor/ToolHumor.html