Re: Resize shared_pool / Avoid Ora-4030

From: Karsten Schmidt <groups_at_karsten-schmidt.com>
Date: 15 Jan 2004 08:09:22 -0800

Hello,
 I would think, that ORA-4030 has nothing to do with shared pool: $ oerr ora 4030
04030, 00000, "out of process memory when trying to allocate %s bytes (%s,%s)"
// *Cause: Operating system process private memory has been exhausted // *Action:

 you are running out of process memory, check the OS settings for max data segment size, and ulimit settings.

 fiddling with shared pool is not going to help.  if you were talking about ora-4031, that would be different though.

 I never had the paitience to wait to the 'reduce shared pool size' call to return. they are waiting until a contigous chunk of the shared pool becomes free, which may take a while on a busy system (i.e. i let it run for a week and it did not finish).

HTH Karsten