Re: 10G

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 08:09:37 -0800

Cookie Monster wrote:

> "Ray Teale" <ray_at_BLAHholly.com.au> wrote in message
>

>>Is there a roadmap for 10G Database releases available anywhere on the

> net?
>
>>Ray
>>

> Is was suppose to be released in the second week of December 2003. So much
> for that. Who knows when it will happen now...

Hold on now. No new product in our industry has a firm release date.

 From what I have seen the database is ready for release. But Oracle database, unlike some other company's products is a lot more than just the database. For example 10g will contain Project Marvel now known as HTML_DB. It will also contain a lot of other completely new capabilities that must also be tested.

10g is going to be a very different animal from 8i, even in my eyes from 9i, and those that don't appreciate the depth and scope of those changes are going to be the newly unemployed. CIOs are already beginning to figure out the they are paying far too much for DBAs that aren't using the tools available because they are still managing 9i like it was v7.

Sit tight ... it will be worth the wait. Spend the time making sure you truly understand 9i before venturing forth.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu