Redo block size...

From: Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:42:38 +0100

Hi!
Nest month I have a chance to reconfigure the io system of one of our db servers. In particular I can have the 8 disks configured into one or two raid0+1 devices. So far I'm thinking of having two devices, one for datafiles and software and one for the redos.
Also I'm trying to get two different stripe sizes, one (one stripe for two db blocks) for the datafiles and one (one stripe for one redo block) for the redos. But I still have a few questions:

Should I do the software on the datafile device or on the redo device? I very much   doubt that the software and OS create much load as it is a dedicated machine running   only the database, rman and about once every few days a login shell (no X).   The advantage for putting the software on the datafile device is that datafiles create less   disk load and therefore the performance impact should be less. On the other hand,    the SW/OS takes up lots of space and will therefore sooner or later limit the size of the   database.
  The advantage of puting it on the redo device is that I definitely won't need more than   1GB of redo and all the other 71GB are unused.   (Obviously, in either case, the SW goes on a separate partition.)

How do I find out the chunk size in which redo information is written to disk?

What filesystem would you recommend for the datafiles/redos on Linux RH? I've heard that both, ext2 and ext3 are suitable.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker Received on Thu Jan 15 2004 - 05:42:38 CST