Re: Buffer cache statistics (ratios) and CBO SQL optimization?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:22:26 +1100

"Joel Garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message

> Click around that cyberlibel, he's Canadian!

<quote>
If the answer is vengeance, money, or stopping the defamer from republishing the libel, a libel action probably is not warranted.
</quote>

'nuff said.

> commonweal. And a lot doesn't. And how international fora relates to
> all this is quite unsettled.

Exactly. The Usenet is international by default. Libel is not even a word in many non-Commonw* laws.

> "Only if it is an extra-large Sausage" or something like that - it
> went on and on and got worse :-)

:)

> Big proviso, that, hard to keep to in a trollified flamefest.

Exactly. As soon as ANYONE in a Usenet discussion steps in with a handle that is not identifiable and the discussion then follows from that troll, ALL bets are off from the point of view of libel.

Until some crap lawyer and a bought judge create a precedent on considering a virtual entity or any of its statements as libel.

And a VERY STRONG argument for people such as Geo, TM and Patel who are SOOOO concerned with libel, to make themselves identifiable.

Otherwise, ANYTHING they say is worth doodle and ANY reply in a thread where they are involved is worth exactly squat from the legal point of view.

> How can an unmoderated group be either-or?

It can't. reductio ad absurdo.
Hence, not valid for libel.

> True, but gosh-darn, haven't you seen some of the cases that have?

on trolls? Show me one.

> At this point, I would be happy to have that much hair :-)
>
> http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/images/king_don.jpg

;)
ROFL!
> Still don't see the relevance of that. If someone says I'm a
> technical dolt in alt.fan.depeche-mode, how is it any different than
> saying it here - or in alt.fan.karl-malden.nose? The mere publication
> is the issue.

Because if you say it in alt.fan.* you are OBVIOUSLY performing a personal attack with libel intent.

If you say it here IN THE CONTEXT of a technical discussion, you'll have the hardest time of your life making it stick as libel.

Ever heard an academic refutation? Now, THAT is grounds for libel. Ever heard one such claim? Same principle.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto