Re: ORA-12839 on 9.2.0.4

From: c3r3bro <cerebruspipeline_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: 14 Jan 2004 12:44:04 -0800

pagesflames_at_usa.net (Dusan Bolek) wrote in message news:<1e8276d6.0401140116.d0fddf5_at_posting.google.com>...
> cerebruspipeline_at_yahoo.co.uk (c3r3bro) wrote in message news:<74f64a8f.0401130941.27b53318_at_posting.google.com>...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have created the following sql script that replicates the problem I
> > am having. I have migrated from 8.1.7.4 where the exact same code runs
> > absolutely fine, but I get oracle errors in 9i.
> >
> > Can anyone shed any light on this?
>
> Sorry, but I overlooked you stated a version in subject, when I was
> creating my previous reply. :-(
> However, strange is that from my testing it really looks like
> mentioned bug, because I can reproduce this in 9.2.0.3, but in 9.2.0.4
> it works fine. Are you sure with your version number?

Definitely 9204, we upgraded after Oracle support pointed out the bug you mentioned. Didn't help though.

Here's a simpler example:

alter table emp parallel;
alter table dept parallel;
alter session enable parallel dml;
delete emp;
delete dept;
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-12839: cannot modify an object in parallel after modifying it

You can see that dept has not been modified before the last statement, yet it still thinks it has. This is due to the constraint between the two tables.

It seems to be caused by a new feature in 9.2+ whereby you can have more than one parallel slave per partition in a delete statement. The following parameter puts it back to 8i behaviour (1 slave per partition)

_intrapart_pdml_enabled=false

The error is generated by the fix for 8i bug 1657607, where the second delete would apparently lock up.

Interestingly, if the tables are created in 8i and then the database is *migrated* to 9.2, you still only get 1 slave per partition, and no problems. It only occurs for tables created in 9.2. Received on Wed Jan 14 2004 - 14:44:04 CST