Re: Application Design for Data Guard

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 14 Jan 2004 09:45:01 -0800

bernhard.krautschneider_at_acp.at (Bernhard Krautschneider) wrote in message news:<dec9f4d1.0401130219.17f974a5_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello,
>
> i'm looking for information about how an application should (or should
> not) be designed to perform good within a data guard environment.
> As a matter of fact I didn't find a useful documentation about that
> topic.
>
> What I want to find out is, how certain application-design
> characteristics affect the over-all-performance when I (data)-guard
> the database.
> For example: is an application that does frequent
> varchar2(4000)-inserts and updates on tables, that have many (about
> 40) columns, suitable for a synchronous physical standby
> database-environment, with physical standby redologs?
>
> thanks in advance,
> Bernhard

I think you don't see such info because dataguard is supposed to be transparant to the application, aside from the obvious redo log volume issue. You need to be concerned about operations, administration and hardware bottlenecks.

Or perhaps you want to be talking about failover and ha design? http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=131771.1

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.