Re: shared memory realm does not exist

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: 14 Jan 2004 12:11:43 -0500

On 2004-01-13, No Spam <nospam_at_home.com> wrote:
> When I installed oracle 9.2i on redhat linux 9 I created usergroups for user
> oracle as stated in the manuals
> # groupadd dba
> # useradd oracle
> # mkdir /opt/oracle
> # mkdir /opt/oracle/product/9.2.0/
> # chown -R oracle:dba /opt/oracle
>
> Now whatever I type at the sqlplus I get shared realm does not exist
> even logging in as sysdba
> sqlplus /nolog
> connect as sysdba
>
> I get connected to an idle instance

Try altering your ORACLE_SID to <thenameofmydatabase>.

Then connect to your instance using sqlplus as above.

Then start your instance.

> trying sqlplus oracle/oraclepassword_at_thenameofmydatabase I created with dbca
> gets me the shared realm does not exist
> I am at loggerheads what could be wrong, everything seemed to have installed
> ok

The error message that you are seeing is common when attempting to connect to a 9i instance that that hasn't been started.

--
There's no reason not to contribute to the stone soup if those    |||
contributions are not critical to your competitive edge.         / | \