Oracle 8.1.7 huge performance problem : please help !

From: kouchba <kouchba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 14 Jan 2004 03:45:09 -0800

Hi there,

We are using Oracle 8.1.7 on Solaris 7 and Oracle 7.3.4 as well. We compared the execution plan of a query under Oracle 7 and Oracle 8.1.7 and it is exactly the same (using the same indexes,..). The number of extents of the index is the same too. The data files of the two instances are located on the same disks. But each time we execute the query under Oracle 8 , it is about ten times slower. That slowliness is not related to that particular query but to the whole application when executed under Oracle 8.1.7. So I am thinking more of an instance problem rather than an application problem.

It seems to be IO bound to me just as something which have changed in the way Oracle 8 interacts with the filesystem. I tried to play with the hidden parameter _filesystemio_options but it did not work.

Any idea ?

Thanks,
Philippe (kouchba_at_yahoo.com, pbackouche_at_sepro-robotique.com) Received on Wed Jan 14 2004 - 05:45:09 CST