Re: Translate Server Messages

From: Mr Cavalin <lpd2_at_uol.com.br>
Date: 14 Jan 2004 03:00:09 -0800

nimmi60_at_yahoo.com (Nimmi) wrote in message news:<bdefe6fb.0401132143.1a1ba122_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> I am using Oracle 9i as database and the frontend application in
> PowerBuilder 8 which will be installed in English or French Version
> per user basis. I was successful in translating the frontend text and
> error messages. Please let me know how to translate the server
> messages from English to French for a PARTICULAR SESSION ( per user)
> in ORACLE. I have a multi lingual database.
>
> For ex:
>
> SQL> select * from t;
>
> ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
> should appear as
> ORA-00942: table ou vue inexistante
>
> I used NLS_LANG parameter for date, currency etc., but for changing
> the messages the parameter needs to be set in init.ora which is common
> for all sessions in the instance and I don't need that.
>
> Your help is appreciated.

You must set NLS_LANG enviroment variable at client side (on all machines that run sqlplus and other applications) If you are using UNIX set variable like: export NLS_LANG="<LANGUAGE>_<TERRITORY>.<CHAR SET>" ex: export NLS_LANG="FRENCH_FRANCE.WE8ISO8859P1"

Remenber this means all will be translate

Regards.
Mr. Cavalin Received on Wed Jan 14 2004 - 05:00:09 CST