Extra space in stored outline in 8.1.6.3.0

From: Vsevolod Afanassiev <vafanassiev_at_aapt.com.au>
Date: 14 Jan 2004 01:21:55 -0800

I am trying to follow Metalink Article 92202.1 to swap outlines. It works in SQL*Plus, but when the actual statement is run from Oracle Forms (that I cannot change) the outline does not work.
So I decided to check HASH_VALUEs in V$SQL_AREA for statement coming from Forms and in OL$ for the outline. Naturally they were different, and this is what causes the problem. The length(SQL_TEXT) FROM V$SQL_AREA and TEXTLEN FROM OL$ were also different, with TEXTLEN being one character longer. Further investigating the issue I found that this extra character is space (ascii code 32).
By adding a space to the statement and executing it I was able to get exactly the same hash value in V$SQL_AREA as in OL$.

How to get rid of it?
Unfortunatelu CREATE OR REPLACE OUTLINE does not allow to put quotes around the statement.

I tried both ';' and '/' at the end of the statement - makes no difference.

I know it is much better in 9i...

Thanks,
Sev Received on Wed Jan 14 2004 - 03:21:55 CST