Re: shared memory realm does not exist

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 22:26:30 GMT

No Spam wrote:

> I have already downgraded the glib, increased memory segment, and amended
> the .bashrc file along the lines of the dizwell document, like I said
> everything installed, I had already read a similar document from
> pushcitz.org that looked like it was a straight rip from the dizwell
> document, like I said everything installed, I have posted my listener.ora,
> tnsnames.ora, and sqlnet.ora above to look at

"Shared Realm does not exist" means "No shared memory has been set up for the instance". The rest of your stuff is useless if you don't have an instance (of that name) available.

Suggest you erase everything related to Oracle on your system and start from scratch. You've missed a step - the one about shmmax and sem.

OR ... If you didn't miss it, you are trying to put too many instances (or other things that use shared memory) on your machine and you need to read the INSTALL Guide to learn the calculations for these kernel parms.

Finally, a client (such as SQL Plus, ODBC, etc) uses TNSNAMES.ora and does not need or care about LISTENER.ora Received on Tue Jan 13 2004 - 16:26:30 CST