Home -> Community -> Usenet -> c.d.o.server -> Re: Distinguish committed data from other transactions and uncommitted data from my transaction in a database table.

Re: Distinguish committed data from other transactions and uncommitted data from my transaction in a database table.

From: <ctcgag_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 13 Jan 2004 16:19:25 GMT

Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote:
> On 12 Jan 2004, manfred.bauer4711_at_gmx.de wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have the following problem: I have an interace table ordedata
> > with a a sequence number to determine the sequence of the data.
> > The table looks like this: ordecode orderow, .. seqnbr
> > (sequence number )
> >
> > I have now a transaction, which writes one or several rows into
> > that table.
> >
> > What I want is the following: At the beginning of the
> > transaction I am selecting the highest sequence number for the
> > data for a specific order and store it in a global
> > PL/SQL-Variable.
> >
> > At the end of the transaction, I want to get again the highest
> > sequence number in the table for my order.
> >
> > Now I want to find out in my transaction, if some other
> > transaction have written also data in that table.
> >
> > My Problem: How can I distinguish in my transaction, if the
> > data comes from my transaction and is not yet committed
>
> You can't do this in Oracle. It will only show you committed
> rows.

Except for a transaction seeing its own uncommitted data, which I believe is what he is asking about.

> > or if the data comes from a different transaction and is alredy
> > committed.
> >
> > My transaction sees always all data regardless if it they are
> > mine or not.

> > I was trying to do it with autonomous transactions, but it
> > seems not to work. I don't want to rely on some data, like a
> > columns, where it is stored, who writes the data.
> >
> > Is there a possibility to do this ????

Open another Oracle session, and communicate with that session outside of Oracle's consistency model. "Hey, other session, what do you get when you run this query?".

Warning: You are playing with fire.

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service              New Rate! $9.95/Month 50GB