Re: DB Block Size in Linux

From: Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:50:06 +0100

"Toby Brown" <toby_brown_at_optusnet.com.au> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:2a84f50c.0401121622.6ccd9a4a_at_posting.google.com...
> I gather that I can choose the filesystem block size (perhaps during
> Linux installation). So I assume when I'm installing RehHat Linux 8
> and selecting the ext2 filesystem to be the filesystem for that Linux
> installation, I would be able to choose a filesystem block size (I'd
> probably go 4k).
>
> Then creating an Oracle9i database with a db block size larger than 4k
> (e.g. 8k) shouldn't be a problem since the filesystem buffer cache
> would cache a multiple of the filesystem blocks, in this case, a
> multiple of 4k blocks, meaning that an 8k database block size wouldn't
> induce any additional IO (behind the scenes) as I had feared before.
>
> I'm a novice with Oracle+Linux so I hope I haven't over simplified
> this issue above.

If you have a ton of disks and can afford raid1+0 and two volumes you can do that even more complex:
I've read somewhere that you can do stuff with the stripe size too. The idea is to have two different stripe sizes, one for datafiles (one block access is served by only one disk) and one for redos (one write goes across all disks).
I'll probably try this some time next month but you need 8 disks for that.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker Received on Tue Jan 13 2004 - 04:50:06 CST