Home -> Community -> Usenet -> c.d.o.server -> Re: Distinguish committed data from other transactions and uncommitted data from my transaction in a database table.

Re: Distinguish committed data from other transactions and uncommitted data from my transaction in a database table.

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 12 Jan 2004 22:59:21 -0800

manfred.bauer4711_at_gmx.de (Manfred Bauer) wrote in message news:<e1c56780.0401121110.59af1693_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello,
>
> I have the following problem:
> I have an interace table ordedata with a a sequence number to
> determine
> the sequence of the data.
> The table looks like this:
> ordecode
> orderow,
> ..
> seqnbr (sequence number )
>
> I have now a transaction, which writes one or several rows into
> that table.
>
> What I want is the following:
> At the beginning of the transaction I am selecting the highest
> sequence
> number for the data for a specific order and store it in a global
> PL/SQL-Variable.
>
> At the end of the transaction, I want to get again the highest
> sequence
> number in the table for my order.
>
> Now I want to find out in my transaction, if some other transaction
> have written also data in that table.
>
> My Problem:
> How can I distinguish in my transaction, if the data comes from my
> transaction
> and is not yet committed or if the data comes from a different
> transaction
> and is alredy committed. My transaction sees always all data
> regardless if it they are mine or not.
>
> I was trying to do it with autonomous transactions, but it seems not
> to work.
> I don't want to rely on some data, like a columns, where it is stored,
> who writes the data.
>
> Is there a possibility to do this ????
>

> Thanks
>
> Manfred

Manfred,

get your hands of a copy of Tom Kyte's "Expert One on One" and read chapter 3 several times.

your concept of a transaction is not the same as Oracle's concept of a transaction.

I believe that it will be pointless to even start into this discussion without having a common language. Perhaps you are coming over from another vendor's database.

spend lots of time researching what a read-consistent image of a data block is.

Pd Received on Tue Jan 13 2004 - 00:59:21 CST