Re: DB Block Size in Linux

From: Toby Brown <toby_brown_at_optusnet.com.au>
Date: 12 Jan 2004 16:22:53 -0800

I gather that I can choose the filesystem block size (perhaps during Linux installation). So I assume when I'm installing RehHat Linux 8 and selecting the ext2 filesystem to be the filesystem for that Linux installation, I would be able to choose a filesystem block size (I'd probably go 4k).

Then creating an Oracle9i database with a db block size larger than 4k (e.g. 8k) shouldn't be a problem since the filesystem buffer cache would cache a multiple of the filesystem blocks, in this case, a multiple of 4k blocks, meaning that an 8k database block size wouldn't induce any additional IO (behind the scenes) as I had feared before.

I'm a novice with Oracle+Linux so I hope I haven't over simplified this issue above.