Re: Where's the alert file for remote database stopped/started using OEM?

From: Burt Peltier <burttemp1ReMoVeThIs_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 16:16:19 -0600

--
"Hans Forbrich" <forbrich_at_telus_spam.net> wrote in message

> Shirley Taylor wrote:
> >
> > This morning using the OEM I modified some parameters for a remote
> > version 8.1.7 database on Windows 2000 then stopped and restarted the
> > database to put them into effect. I later went, on the db server, to
> > look for something in the alert.log but can't find a current alert.log
> > where there should be one. I then searched all disks to no avail. When
> > using the OEM to start databases remotely what happens to the alert
> > log? Thanks, Shirley
>
> The alert.log is managed by the database instance and must be on the
> same server that is running the instabce. It has absolutely nothing to
> do with the fact that you started the instance using OEM.
>
> Look at the instance parameters for the BACKGROUND_DUMP_DEST to
> determine the most likely location for the log file. If that directory
> does not exist, it is possible the alert.log is being dumped to the bit
> bucket.
If that parameter is not set, is set incorrectly, or the disk it points to is full, it seems more likely the alert.log is being dumped under the "Oracle software" directory in a "default" location. If the software disk location is full, then it is possible it is going to the bit bucket. Making some assumptions where your "Oracle software" (for the Server) is installed, try this DOS search command: C:\dir alert*.log /s