Re: ORA-03113 Error

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 00:30:17 GMT

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 03:30:01 -0800, Al Willis wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please pardon the length of this post, but I thought that it might be
> important to show the table schema data.
>
> I'm getting an ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel error. After
> I get this error, I am disconnected from the database.

Al, let me explain what is happening. The error you're getting is only a secondary error. ORA-3113 means that you've lost connection to the server process. That usually happens when the server process that was servicing your client dies abruptly. The most frequent errors that can cause such event are ORA-600 and ORA-7445. Both errors are a reason for contacting oracle support and cannot be resolved without them. Both errors also leave trace files on the server side. THe location of the trace files can be determined by inspecting BACKGROUND_DUMP_DEST parameter or USER_DUM_DEST. Here is what these parameter look like on Linux:

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
background_dump_dest                 string      /oracle/admin/o9i/bdump
core_dump_dest                       string      /oracle/admin/o9i/cdump
user_dump_dest                       string      /oracle/admin/o9i/udump

The other file that you need to inspect is alert_$ORACLE_SID.log. It contains the times of the ora-600 errors and the location of the trace files. Oracle support will ask you to upload the trace files and the log file. Good luck!

--
None of us is as dumb as all of us.
(http://www.despair.com/meetings.html)