Re: Buffer cache statistics (ratios) and CBO SQL optimization?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 18:32:33 -0000

"Geomancer" <pharfromhome_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:cf90fb89.0401100615.77a6b6f9_at_posting.google.com...
> > > It's highly suspicious how his/her replies defending some
> > > books generate interventions from the authors with
> > > monotonous regularity.
>
> Everyone has a right to know when their reputations are defamed or
> when they are accused of illegal practices.
>
> Can you guess how Embarcadero reacted when someone claiming to be an
> Oracle expert published in this NG that the work of their Senior Vice
> President is "trash. Burn it if you have it.", and called their
> multi-million dollar product a "Complete piece of garbage"?

Don't know what did they do? Sue them, treat it as fair comment, suggest that folk offered counter opinions. Of course I am probably posting in ignorance since I can never recall anyone in this NG claim to be an Oracle expert, not once. Especially the folks that actually are pretty talented and competent with Oracle.

> Since you are all non-anon, a quick Google search reveals that Ryan
> Gaffuri is a junior staff consultant of Bloodworth Integrated
> Technology in Reston Virginia. If I wanted, I could spend $25 at
> www.ussearch.com, and get Ryan's home address, complete criminal and
> civil court record, and a complete employment history.

and why might you so want?

> By the way, Ryan Gaffuri has a total of less than three years of
> experience with Oracle!

Ah, if it is Ryan you are talking about, perhaps you could point us to the place where he claims to be an Oracle expert.

> The crap about Dave Moore's book being "almost a copy and paste"
> accused Moore (and his employer, BMC software) of the theft of
> intellectual property. BMC is a multi-billion dollar company and
> since he is their Chief Architect, both he and BMC have a right to
> know when Ryan Gaffuri's publishes allegations of illegal activity.

That is just rubbish, or perhaps you could point us at the precedent as you seem to be offering legal advice.

> Regarding anonymity:
>
> **** My company policies prohibit any employee from divulging their
> real name on any work-related forum, and for good reason, IMHO.

What reason might that be.

> **** Since Ryan Gaffuri posted his false accusations as
> non-anonymous, BMC and Embarcadero can now sue Ryan Gaffuri and BIT.
>
> **** This NG records the IP address and time of each post. If the
> post was done during work hours then the employer is fully responsible
> for the actions of their employee.
>
> **** Anything posted here is "published" and subject to libel law.
> This NG is archived way back to the early 1990's.
>
> No thanks, I'll stay anon, thank you.

In fact that is really quite a lot of legal advice, especially as regards intellectual property and libel law. Are you *sure* that this is a work related forum?

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA