Re: Database Design

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 15:44:06 -0800

JEDIDIAH wrote:

> Having known (or being subjected to) a fair number of Physicians,
> Engineers and Lawyers I will be the first one to laugh at the
> notion that professional certifications are sufficient.

No one said they were. Being elected President or Prime Minister is no guarantee of competence either.

The point was not that the industry needs a REAL certification because having one is a panacea. Rather that the current industry certifications, created by software and hardware vendors for their own purposes, do not serve the needs of the customers (corporate and governmental).

We need a better system ... because the current one isn't working.

A physician wishing to be a transplant surgeon knows the criteria required for achieving that professional goal. The programmer wishing to be a senior Oracle DBA hasn't a clue what constitutes competence in the profession.

We're not looking for perfection here ... just incremental improvement.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu