Re: ORA-03113 Error

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 9 Jan 2004 11:27:26 -0800

alwillisj01_at_sbcglobal.net (Al Willis) wrote in message news:<964496aa.0401090330.3b4ad062_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> Please pardon the length of this post, but I thought that it might be
> important to show the table schema data.
>
> I'm getting an ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel error. After
> I get this error, I am disconnected from the database.
>
> I'm testing on a stand-alone computer using Oracle Enterprise Manager
> Console version 9.2.0.1.0, Windows XP Pro. I'm trying to execute the
> following statement in SQL Scratchpad:
>
> SELECT A.* FROM IM.LOOPDAT A
> WHERE EXISTS (
> SELECT DISTINCT XA.LOOPNO FROM IM.LOOPDAT XA
> LEFT OUTER JOIN IM.LOOPCON XB ON XB.LOOPNO = XA.LOOPNO
> WHERE (XA.LOOPNO LIKE '24%') AND (XB.TAGNUMBER ='ABC') AND (XA.LOOPNO =
> A.LOOPNO) )
> )
>
> Is there a different syntax that I can use that would be better for Oracle?
>
> Below is the metadata.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Al Willis

First off,
attempt to reproduce the error in sqlplus.exe from the 9.2 home. This is to isolate the error - is it in the tools, or in the database. If you reproduce the error with sqlplus.exe, then you know that it is in the database, and not in whatever gui tool you are using.

Do you have an Oracle support contract?
Applying the current patchset would be a good start, as its typically the first thing that Oracle Support would recommend in an iTAR.

Download the patchset from Metalink for 9.2.0.4.0 for win32. Read the release notes.
perform any pre-install actions covered in the release notes. Upgrade OUI to 2.2.0.18.0 (its in the 9.2.0.4 patchset) Apply the 9.2.0.4.0 patchset.
Follow the instructions in the readme for upgrading the data dictionary (the post-apply actions).
attempt to reproduce the error in sqlplus.exe.

if you still have the problem, search metalink for similar bugs that have been reported. there may be a one-off patch available for this particular problem.

If you don't have a support contract, do you get the problem with a table that has less than 255 columns?

Pd Received on Fri Jan 09 2004 - 13:27:26 CST