using sqlplus nolog

From: No Spam <nospam_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 16:36:45 -0000

Hi

On installing oracle 9i standard edition on redhat linux 9, it installed the dbca, the database, and the client.

My problem is I do not have an internet connection, and I mainly would like to use sqlplus to learn sql. My main username to logon on to oracle is the user name for oracle which I use to logon to linux for oracle purposes the name I use is oracle but it keeps saying no such realm in shared segment. I am only able to use sql with the command sqlplus /nolog I assume this creates a relational database with no file saved?

I have a password for SYS
and a password for SYSTEM
and a global variable name

..._at_domain

and a SID: ...

I apologise if this seems a very silly but what do I put down for username at the username prompt when I type in sqlplus. I normally use the main user which is oracle, but I get the no realm segment error as mentioned earlier.

I also do not have an internet connection with this comp so I am unable to get a network service, I am told I could use something called a loop back adapter with a physical address of 127.0.0.1 which would make the comp think I am connected to the internet so I could have the client and server at the same comp, I have been unable to find such software, would you know how I could do this? Received on Fri Jan 09 2004 - 10:36:45 CST