Re: Using export as a backup strategy

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 18:45:37 +0100

On 8 Jan 2004 09:27:05 -0800, tom.richards_at_rocketmail.com (Thomas Richards) wrote:

>Oracle 8i 8.1.5 on NT.
>
>I have a database for which a day's data loss is an acceptable risk.
>From reading the Oracle Backup and Recovery guide, I get the
>impression that export is recommended as a supplement to a backup
>strategy rather than a backup strategy in itself.
>
>Please can someone explain why export only can't be used in a scenario
>where a day's data loss is acceptable and there is a period of no user
>activity when a consistent export can be achieved?
>
>If I lose a disk, can I not create an empty database and load the
>previous night's backup?
>
>Is there any advantage to doing physical backups that I have
>overlooked? For example, if I do export only should I be doing control
>file backups as well?
>
>Any thoughts on this much appreciated
>
>Thanks

Export is a *logical* copy, backup a *physical* Export can only be used to recover from user error. Physical backups will allow you to recover part of the database. Using export will force you to recreate the complete database. Using the export scenario it won't buy you anything to combine an export and a controlfile backup. The controlfile describes the current state of the database and this is the database you have to recreate.

But I have a feeling you already decided export is the way to go, so you the fact every experienced DBA advises *against* using export as replacement for backup probably won't impress you.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA