Using export as a backup strategy

From: Thomas Richards <tom.richards_at_rocketmail.com>
Date: 8 Jan 2004 09:27:05 -0800

Oracle 8i 8.1.5 on NT.

I have a database for which a day's data loss is an acceptable risk. From reading the Oracle Backup and Recovery guide, I get the impression that export is recommended as a supplement to a backup strategy rather than a backup strategy in itself.

Please can someone explain why export only can't be used in a scenario where a day's data loss is acceptable and there is a period of no user activity when a consistent export can be achieved?

If I lose a disk, can I not create an empty database and load the previous night's backup?

Is there any advantage to doing physical backups that I have overlooked? For example, if I do export only should I be doing control file backups as well?

Any thoughts on this much appreciated

Thanks
Tom Received on Thu Jan 08 2004 - 11:27:05 CST