Re: Buffer cache statistics (ratios) and CBO SQL optimization?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 21:00:35 +0800

Noons wrote:

> Given the lateness of this reply and the context of its
> thread, I think it's more than high time Geomancer
> identified him/herself to the group, if not in email
> at least in real name. There are remarkably few here that
> use a real e-mail, but almost all identify themselves
> with their real names, enough that we can readily id them.
>
> It's highly suspicious how his/her replies defending some
> books generate interventions from the authors with
> monotonous regularity. Particularly when such authors
> have seldom contributed here before. If ever. No, it's not
> a "don't have time" thing either!
>
> Let me be clear: nothing wrong IMO with such authors coming
> here to talk to everyone, if properly identified and in context.
> Most welcome, and frequently. Plenty of others do the same
> (JL, SA, CMD, HJR, etc) regularly, and correctly identifying
> themselves. Super.
>
> PLENTY wrong with "moles", no matter how sweet their talk
> might be. And starting to get tiring and irritating.
> Let's hope adult reasoning and the most basic HONESTY prevails:
> there are precious few people in this ng that haven't been
> there seen it, when it comes to childish scams.
>
> --
> Cheers
> Nuno Souto
> wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam
> "Dave Moore" <dave_at_oracleutilities.com> wrote in message news:dcfe458b.0401070602.364c5b26_at_posting.google.com...
> > As the author of the Oracle utilities book, I can assure you it's not
> > a cut and paste from OTN. The only reason I wrote the book was to
> > share insight that was orginal and that I couldn't find anywhere else.
> > For instance, the book includes how to actually use orakill in
> > combination with something like QSlice ... or how to create your own
> > facility and acutally make oerr useful. Trace Analyzer was explained
> > as well as scripts provided that aid in the tracing of user sessions
> > (all Oracle tracing tools were detailed). For some of the common
> > utilities (imp, exp, sqlldr) I discussed performance and gave the
> > benchmarks when using many different options on a table with 1M rows.
> > Should you use exp/imp or the SQL*Plus copy command? It depends, but
> > many times the copy command will do it even faster and with less
> > hassles.
> >
> > I couldn't dive straight into the "value add" part of each utility
> > until I explained first what it did. Some people are not even aware
> > of utilities like maxmem or oradebug. For those, I took a different
> > approach - what does it do, how do I execute it, and what problem can
> > it solve for me. Hope this helps.
> >
> > Dave Moore

I have to admit - I could claim some moral high ground along the lines of I always believe that you should identify yourself properly on a newsgroup...

but in reality...

I use my real email address because I just like getting those spams about a smaller mortgage, a better credit card or a bigger dong