Re: Database Design

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 7 Jan 2004 20:49:17 -0600

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004, damorgan_at_x.washington.edu wrote:

> But the point, hopefully, is made.

No, the point has been lost. I don't see anybody talking about credentials and how judging and scoring is supposed to come about. And this is what struck me to even respond in the first place. There were a few people waxing on poetically (you being one) about how important our industry is while we have no credentials. Well, tell me how the flip anybody can devise a plan for credentials that you and most others won't immediately then turn around on and say, "Experience wins over accreditation ..." or other such slams.

> Some software such as a word processor or a graphics program
> are not used to make life-or-death decisions: Databases
> are. Every day in millions of locations.

So? What would credentials do for these situations? Wouldn't these situations be much better served with a talented database professional, period? Since we could all agree on that, please tell me how credentials would help us get more talented database professionals?

The point would end up being, we want talented professionals working in our fields and the other point would be, we all feel we know how to find those professionals with or without any credentials.

--
Galen Boyer