Re: Create an operator with returning a fixed length string

From: Frank Y <dmx_frank_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 7 Jan 2004 18:13:23 -0800

dmx_frank_at_yahoo.com (Frank Y) wrote in message news:<9d599275.0401052027.495c4690_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello there,
>
> I am using Oracle 9i on Windows 2000 Server. I need to create an
> operator to return a string with length 20.
>
> If I use the following statement:
> CREATE OPERATOR test ....
> RETURN VARCHAR2....
>
> the return string has a default length 4000.
>
> Does any one know to make the return string length 20?
>

> thanks a lot.
>
> Frank

The reason I ask this because I need to create an operator to build a domain index. And this operator is used in a View. When my application accesss this view, an buffer overflow was occured because the return length of the operater is 4000. I cannot change the application source code because I donot own it. The only way I can think is to limit the output size of the operator, that is why I ask this question.

Any one can have ideas to help me?

Frank. Received on Wed Jan 07 2004 - 20:13:23 CST