Re: Professional or Not (was Database Design)

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 7 Jan 2004 15:55:44 -0800

Mark.Powell_at_eds.com (Mark D Powell) wrote in message news:<2687bb95.0401071137.3099bdb5_at_posting.google.com>...

> Experience far outweighs any certification. The appearance of other
> work related skills usually are more important the any specific IT
> knowledge since almost any IT skill can be learned by an experienced
> person in a fairly short period of time. Many business related
> knowledge areas take far longer to learn.

I agree, except have to point out that some old dogs really can't learn new tricks. I've seen some, for example, otherwise intelligent COBOL, netadmin and self-taught DBASE type people just never "get it" when presented with relational concepts. I'm sure you can imagine the results, especially when they have the business-related knowledge. At best, a maintenance nightmare that just happens to work. Best is usually not seen.

So of course, it has to be the "right" kind of experience. I have to wonder when I find myself writing basically the same program in a shell extraction from Oracle that I wrote decades ago in BASIC, because in sql it can't be made to go fast enough, because the requirement is non-R... :-O (and before anyone jumps on me, I will be using 10G features for it in the future, but that requires buying at least two more servers and a bunch of other upgrades first).

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/uniontrib/wed/business/news_1b7ponzi.html