Re: how to use external data with discoverer

From: Mark Rittman <mrittman_at_plusconsultancy.co.uk>
Date: 7 Jan 2004 15:23:34 -0800

Hi there,

As mentioned in my reply to your post on comp.databases.olap, you can use the Heterogenious Services / Generic Connectivity feature to create database links to ODBC data sources. This document ( http://otn.oracle.com/products/discoverer/htdocs/hints/htm/gen_heterogenous_ds.htm ) explains it in more detail.

Alternatively, you can register the spreadsheet (in CSV format) as an External table, and join that to your regular Oracle tables. Don Burleson's article (
http://www.dba-oracle.com/art_ext_tabs_spreadsheet.htm ) explains this further.

hope this helps

Mark Rittman