Re: Professional or Not (was Database Design)

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 6 Jan 2004 18:35:27 -0600

On 6 Jan 2004, mpir_at_bellsouth.net wrote:

> the original comment was that we were being self important
> because we were not dealing with life threatening situations,
> like doctors.

The original statement was saying that self-importance comes from when we try to equate the importance of our work with that of doctors, not that we were being self-important. For example, I am currently working on a database which supports analytics for the CMBS market. There are large dollars involved, huge money decisions will be made by people using our app and lawsuits can come about if we were to have security breaches. But, on the societal importance factor, there is very little if any.

But, there are people that are dealing with data that then has affect on life-threatening situations. In these cases, most definitely, one could and should make a case for needing some sort of accreditation (which I also talked about in my statement). But, the original statement was in direct response to the self-importance displayed for the sake of pumping up the importance of what it is we do. Very few of us can actually say we work with data that has affect on life-threatening situations, regardless of the few posts by people that actually do. But most can say we are working with data that means alot in dollar terms.

--
Galen Boyer