Bug? ORA-03113 on ORDER BY DESC (9iR2)

From: Bob Burgess <burgess_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: 6 Jan 2004 08:42:59 -0800

We're running 9iR2 on Win2k and it seems to have a strange bug which I can't find reference to in Metalink or Google.

When I execute this:

     SELECT 'A' x FROM dual ORDER BY 1 DESC or this:

     SELECT 'A' FROM dual ORDER BY 1 DESC ...I get an immediate crash of the server thread: ORA-03113 End-of-file on communication channel.

But this works:

     SELECT dummy FROM dual ORDER BY 1 DESC and this works also:

     SELECT 'A' x FROM dual ORDER BY x DESC

Does this happen to everyone? The crash seems to happen when sorting, descending, by column position, for an un-named column, whether or not it has an alias.

Thanks for any ideas.

Bob Burgess
Montreal Received on Tue Jan 06 2004 - 10:42:59 CST