Re: Database Design

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 5 Jan 2004 16:36:12 -0600

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004, damorgan_at_x.washington.edu wrote:
> Galen Boyer wrote:
>

>> On Sun, 04 Jan 2004, damorgan_at_x.washington.edu wrote:
>>
>>>We are the only "profession" in which practitioners expect to
>>> be able to work without credential.
>> Bankers, Stock Analysts, CEOs, Managers, line-workers,
>> Restauranteurs, Salesmen, ...

> I put quote marks around the word profession, see above, for a
> reason. None of the above are technically professions in the
> sense the word is used to described those occupations I
> listed.

I don't understand how.

> Sorry if my meaning wasn't clear.

It is clear that you, and others, think that our profession needs to be elevated to the level on par with medicine. That is a thought that screams self-importance. Our profession and work isn't dealing with life-threatening issues. I think those that feel that way need to get a better perspective on what it is our profession is. We are IT professionals. We strive to be extremely talented at what we do. We love the creativity, challenge, ... of our professions. But, in the "Grand scheme of things" we provide very little societal benefit, very few of us do anything remotely dealing with life issues (there are a small few that deal with medical records that are used by the medical profession) and our profession's output isn't important enough to warrant a government or even industry sponsored credentials test.

--
Galen Boyer