Re: Using EXTPROC to then make a system call to EXP hangs the EXP

From: steve hayes <steve.hayes_at_baesystems.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 10:49:46 -0000

I would not say I know all about Oracle, quite the opposite. Anyone who says they do is fooling themselves.

You are entirely correct, and I can understand your point totally, but I have an old system I need to fix. I can only reiterate our standing.

    Oracle replication was a fine solution, but required constant connectivity between all nodes - this is not so for our infrastructure. We had connection to the LAN 25% of the time, at 9600 bps on a good day. We found Oracle replication falling behind most of the time.

    Our customer *mandated* we use email to deliver a replication solution.     We have been asked to port an old system, where our original solution was a stop gap - we no longer use extproc in our new systems.

Our 'solution' worked on NT4, and added a single extra connection. It now doesn't work on Win 2000.

Unless there is any further useful info on this thread, I now consider this closed, and will pursue it via alternative routes.

Thanks to all who contributed.

Steve