(Cross-posting vs Spam) Re: TAF without RAC or OPS

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 2 Jan 2004 20:31:07 -0600

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004, damorgan_at_x.washington.edu wrote:

> However my understanding is that you anger just about everyone
> when you post the exact same message to multiple usenet
> groups. Please don't do that again. Lets try to ignore the
> postings to c.d.o. and c.d.o.misc and just respond in
> c.d.o.server where the message belongs.

I'd like to interject. Daniel, crossposting is fine, as long as the multiple groups are relevant. It isn't clear that, for this thread, all the groups are relevant but the OP did not "post the exact same message to multiple usenet groups". He crossposted. Posting the exact same message to multiple usenet groups is spamming. That is, no matter what the intentions, frowned upon. Crossposting is a way to include more than one group in the conversation. This can be quite powerful sometimes, but in this particular case, the OP seemingly wasn't trying to be judicious.

--
Galen Boyer