Can anybody explain this strange thing?

From: vic <v.tsien_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 22:31:35 GMT

I have 2 servers, server a is HP (DSS) and server b is Sun. Now one of the applications among these 2 servers is to query server b from server a. server a has a user, which has a dblink to connect to server b. The strange thing is:
If I query server a from server b using sqlplus as: sql> conn user/password_at_b from server a and run query, e.g. sql> select ... from table1 , table2 where.... The elapsed time is 10 seconds but if I use a user in server b and use its dblink (svra) to run: sql > select ... from table1_at_svra , table2_at_svra where.... the elased time is 4 minutes.
The listener.ora for server a has an entry as sdu=32768 and tnsnames.ora in server b (hp) has also sdu=32768 as its entry. I set tdu for both the same as sdu. It is still the same. Theoritically they should have the same response time. Why using sqlplus is faster than using dblink? The dblink user is also the same user I connect from server a with sqlplus and the same connect string as the using clause in dblink. I couldn't figure out. I think it is strange. Does anyone have the same strange experience as mine? Has anyone ever tackled this issue and willing to share it with me and others?

Thanks in advance. Received on Thu Jan 01 2004 - 16:31:35 CST