Re: Can't connect through access using Oracle ODBC driver, sql*plus connects fine

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 15:48:07 -0600

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 02:22:15 GMT, Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> wrote:

>Steve wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> I am having to accomidate an external connection to our database from
>> outside of the firewall. We have modified the firewall rules to
>> accomidate net8 traffic from the specified IP address. Specifically we
>> allow all tcp traffic from IP XXXXX. We allow all to accomidate
>> Windows port redirection.
>>
>> The client can connect successfully with sql*plus through the
>> firewall. They can also tinsping, ping, and create/test an odbc
>> connection to the database.
>> When they try and link tables though MS access however they get
>> ORA-12541.
>>
>> Any suggestions? I thought ODBC used the net8 layer to connect so If
>> sql*plus works then why no the odbc connection that uses the net8
>> layer?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Steve
>
>From Oracle's Error Messages (see http://docs.oracle.com) (docs
>explicitly state ORA-12541 = TNS-12541)
>
>-------------------------
>TNS-12541 TNS:no listener
>
>Cause: The connection request could not be completed because the
>listener is not running.
>
>Action: Ensure that the supplied destination address matches one of the
>addresses used by the listener. Compare the TNSNAMES.ORA entry with the
>appropriate LISTENER.ORA file (or TNSNAV.ORA if the connection is to go
>by way of an Interchange). Start the listener on the remote machine.
>
>You state you can get to the database through SQL*Plus, presumably from
>the same machine which is receiving this error. Thus it seems like your
>connect string from MS Access isn't pointing at the right host (eg. not
>picking up the right connection). One thought - is case-sensitivity
>possibly causing grief?

At this point, I would use the odbctest.exe program that is in the Oracle bin directory. The OP should make sure that he uses the same odbc dsn as is referenced by Access. If he can connect w/ odbctest, then we know the problem is in Access. If he cannot connect w/ odbctest, then it is a malformed dsn definition. Received on Thu Jan 01 2004 - 15:48:07 CST