Re: Where is Oracle’s Grid ?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 00:12:54 GMT

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Joel Garry wrote:
> > Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1072810464.715634_at_yasure>...
>
> If you are talking about recreating an Enterprise sized accounting or
> distribution system I agree. The investment is huge. But there are a lot
> of places other than Amazon that have done well too. Heard any
> complaints from Visa? Mastercard? American Express? New York Stock
> Exchange? Their apps are not COTS.
>
> But the truth is that the vast majority of apps are not huge projects.
> Most could be written from scratch by a team of a half-dozen to a dozen
> really competent developers in 6-12 months.
>
> The problem is that managment has yet to figure out how to make 10 guys
> at $200,000/yr look more appealing than 100 guys at $20,000/yr. So they
> keep ending up with trash.

A customer of mine a few years ago whined about the cost of Oracle and Oracle-competent consultants. Stated flatly to me that he could get people who handled Microsoft products at 1/10th the cost of Oracle people. He closed with the statement "That way I could have 9 out of 10 projects fail and still be on par." (I had to ask why he plans on failure.)

Recently his successor admitted that they'd had 10 out of 10 projects fail. In every case the prototype looked great; the developers could never handle the transition from demo code to something robust. Received on Wed Dec 31 2003 - 18:12:54 CST