Re: Where is Oracle’s Grid ?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 12:50:30 -0800

Joel Garry wrote:

> Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1072479383.579753_at_yasure>...

>>>Actually I don't understand.  And I do need to explain to people why,
>>>so if there is a good reference, let me know.  As it is, I cannot
>>>explain to people who don't see a need to scale why they should bother
>>>with a small Oracle system, which requires multiple boxes.  Say, 50
>>>users doing ordinary business stuff, is small.
>>>
>>>jg
>>>--
>>>@home.com is bogus.
>>>http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/uniontrib/fri/business/news_1b19spam.html
>>
>>Get a copy of Mike Ault's book ORacle9i RAC.
>>
>>Or contact the Puget Sound Oracle Users Group about the next RAC class.

> Why should I bother? Read Mogen's Select article
> http://www.ioug.org/client_files/tech/12231.pdf about why you don't
> need RAC. And grid: http://www.ioug.org/tech/10g.cfm says "Oracle
> defines grid computing as the coordinated use of many small servers
> acting as one computer." How about one small server acting as one
> computer? I'd expect it's difficult to run 10G (remember, that term
> now includes AS) on one production computer. Oracle came up with a
> small system pricing for the db, but decided there isn't any market
> for AS in the same way. So all the scaling talk is for scaling _up_.
> Scaling from small can't happen. Now you need to upgrade your
> network...
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.

10g runs just fine on a PIII W2K SP4 machine with 512MB RAM. How much smaller can you get?

And Mogen's article? Available only to IOUG members so most can't read it ... and I am not impressed: By his article that is.

How Oracle defines the word is unimportant. What I've seen it do? Very important.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)