Re: how to LOCK_SGA on Solaris

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:17:56 +0100

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:05:29 +0100, Frank Langelage <frank_at_lafr.de> wrote:

>I want to achieve what the parameter does:
>lock the shm-segments in physical memory so that they aren't paged out
>to swapspace on disks when the system is short of memory.

According to the Solaris specific docs, you don't NEED the LOCK_SGA parameter as the Intimate Shared Memory feature already takes care of this. Apparently you know better, or more precise: you *think* you know better.
Also your strategy doesn't solve anything because if you are short on memory, you are likely to page out other processes. Might that be the dedicated server processes serving your clients, perhaps? Only asking...

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA