Re: how to LOCK_SGA on Solaris

From: Frank Langelage <frank_at_lafr.de>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:05:29 +0100

Daniel Morgan wrote:
> Frank Langelage wrote:
>

>> Today I switched param LOCK_SGA from FALSE to TRUE.
>> After this the restart of oracle failed:
>>     ORA-27126: unable to lock shared memory segment in core
>>     SVR4 Error: 1: Not owner
>>
>> If I change the owner of the oracle binary to root
>> -rwsr-s--x   1 root     dba      62723664 Dec 17 00:18 oracle
>> then then startup succeeded.
>> Processes are running with user=root (and realuser=oracle).
>>
>> Is there a way to use LOCK_SGA without changing owner to root ?
>>
>> Regards
>> Frank

> What is the business problem you are trying to solve?
>
> From your post it looks like gratuitous parameter changing.
>
> BTW: I'd check to see if the kernel parameters in /etc/system are set
> correctly. My bet is that they are not.

I want to achieve what the parameter does: lock the shm-segments in physical memory so that they aren't paged out to swapspace on disks when the system is short of memory.

I'm more familiar with informix so far. For informix setup locking the shm segment used for buffers in memory is very recommended. Received on Wed Dec 31 2003 - 09:05:29 CST