Re: Where is Oracle’s Grid ?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 19:10:13 -0800

Noons wrote:

> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1072830358.460856_at_yasure...
>

>>Noons wrote:
>>

>>>Of course.  No one says that without effort one can succeed in IT.  Only in
>>>show-business and politics does that happen.  What I object to is having
>>>Oracle decreeing I or anyone else MUST be pushed out of the industry because
>>>we've been around a long time and we're not "upgrading our skill sets".
>>>That's crap, and anyone with half a brain knows it is.

>>It is not, to use your word, crap. It is the law. And it has been

> No, it is crap. EVERYONE in this industry with half a brain and a few
> years under their belt knows that skill set upgrade is the lifeblood
> of their careers. They don't need Oracle to tell them that.

Didn't realize that was what you meant. I thought you meant that you should be able to stagnate with your current skill set. I apologize. I should have known better.

> How they do that upgrade is also their right and choice.

If one acknowledges that bad choices have consequences.

> The expression "teaching granny how to suck eggs" makes itself obvious
> here. The ones that don't know this have by now fallen through the cracks.
> That is not a consequence of anything Oracle might have done and is only
> natural as you point out.

More agreement. We are going to kill this thread. Won't anyone pour in some petrol?

> And yes, Oracle has been "decreeing" just that. I've been to the Oracle
> marketing exercises here over the last couple of years and in EVERY
> single one of them the Oracle marketeer has made a point of "how old
> fashioned" people become for not running the latest versions and
> "how behind the times" DBAs have become because they are "running
> old versions". God only knows what they're up to in sell meetings...

Trying to pay for Larry's new boat so he will go back to sea and let them collect their commission checks.

> As if a production DBA had any say in what gets run and how!
> Why doesn't Oracle go to third-party apps conventions, user group
> meetings and others and tell THEM to forget the "only runs on 8.0.6"
> rubbish? That would help, for a change. But noooo, it's the
> "Oracle DBA" that is at fault...

If everyone ran on 8.0.6 would you be happy? Would Siebel stop being a lousy product? Would anything be improved? More money would be saved if people stopped upgrading to new versions of Windows and MS Office every time Bill gets a cold. But other than a few dollars saved by come CFOs ... what difference would it make?

> That, and Oracle now providing outsourcing of production DBA
> services, of course. But let's gloss over that.

Not here in the states as far as I know. I've never heard of it.

> It's very clear that Oracle has found an easy target on production DBAs
> to blame its very own inadequacies and costs in running third party
> software. They can come up with whatever marketing crap they might
> want to hide this but the industry has seen through it.

Actually the pressure is coming from up here in Redmond Washington. Microsoft is making in-roads by marketing "ease of use" and proclaiming how difficult Oracle is. Here in the States if Oracle doesn't respond as it has marketshare would be lost. Your view in Oz may be different but keep in mind you are a very small part of Oracle's world-wide market. I suspect what I see is far closer to what is driving decisions in Redwood Shores.

Have you notice the decisions are coming from REDwood Shores and REDmond? Its another RED conspiracy if you ask me. ;-)

> And let me tell you one thing: the tone and mood of production DBAs
> in the latest user group meetings I've been to was not very helpful.
> At all. Most of them are seriously pissed off. I think Oracle is
> shooting themselves in the foot big time with this one. We'll see
> what comes up out of all this.

That is not what I see here in the US and Canada. You are looking at a very different marketplace.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)