Re: Where is Oracle’s Grid ?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:27:29 -0800

Noons wrote:

> Of course. No one says that without effort one can succeed in IT. Only in
> show-business and politics does that happen. What I object to is having
> Oracle decreeing I or anyone else MUST be pushed out of the industry because
> we've been around a long time and we're not "upgrading our skill sets".
> That's crap, and anyone with half a brain knows it is.

Actually I disagree with this statement on just about each and every point.

Nowhere has Oracle decreed anything about you, or anyone else, being pushed out of a job. What Oracle has said, in response to its customer's pressure is that it will cut the cost of ownership of its products. And since the highest costs is people they are building their product so as to require fewer of them. That is the economic law everywhere there is a robust and functioning economy.

Must you upgrade your skill set? Absolutely. Do you expect physicians, attorneys, accountants, anyone that isn't dead or critically ill not to continually upgrade their skills? Heck even the kids flipping burgers are expected to do so.

It is not, to use your word, crap. It is the law. And it has been enforced by the laws of biology, economics, and a few other disciplines for several tens of millions of years. My classes at the University of Washington are filled, each quarter, with those that understand the fact that this law is non-negotiable. I don't teach teenagers and 20 year olds. My students are all mid-30s to 60s and they want to survive.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu