Re: Help! Archiver failed! Need guidelines please.

From: Turkbear <john.g_at_dot.spamfree.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 13:05:33 -0600

klist_at_adnohr.net (Al) wrote:

>Gurus,
>
>Are there guidelines to determine the necessary size to allocate to a
>disk
>device that contains my log archive?
>
>My Unix sysadmin got the message "Critical Disk Near Full!"...for the
>3rd time this week.
>
>Select archiver from v$instance came back with FAILED. So I did
>"alter
>system archive log stop;". This is a production datamart for which I
>have
>not had any hot/cold backup for 3 weeks. I am worried.
>
>The overall size of my production datamart is 190GB. My archive log is
>about 29 GB in size at the moment.
>
>I am running v9.2 on HP-UX B.11.00 U 9000/800.
>
>TIA for any help you can provide.
>
>kl.

Regularly copy off ( perhaps to tape) and delete older Archive Log files.. This is the DBAs responsibility, since Oracle will not know, until it is too late, that no more room exists.

As to what space usage to expect, it is dependent on your setup..monitor for a few days and decide. Received on Tue Dec 30 2003 - 13:05:33 CST